Monday, November 5, 2012

I have a monkey on my back, and the monkey brain in control

I have a monkey on my back, a bad habit, OK more than one bad habit. I must say that I was OK with my bad habits, after all the bad habits were not interfering with living the unexamined life (tongue in cheek folks.)

Enlightenment, that would be nirvana, but I methinks baby steps would be better.

This blog is about my journey as I write, and I have been very good about writing my novel. I have been very good about blogging it helps me to feel like I am doing a checks and balances on myself and I am proud of daily routine.

I am not proud of my writing habits on the other hand.

I have been writing sporadically, and mentally I have dug in my heels on the editing stage. I have made so many excuses regarding editing that at this point, I am mentally raising my eyebrows at myself and telling myself "come up with something better I aint buying it."

What does this all mean? This means I have to make changes, unlike the past I am trying to avoid some pitfalls like trying to make 1 trillion changes at once.

The number one way to make a change is to develop a schedule and stick to the schedule, so you are guessing I am going to make a schedule you are half right. I am going to get this monkey of bad habit off my back. First good habit: develop the habit of making a schedule. You are probably thinking I am extremely dense and not very bright. I have spent the entire weekend reading on developing good habits and EVERY single blog, book, etc suggested making a schedule.

Here is the tricky part they all forgot that if you can't stick to a schedule how can you make one. In order to develop and stick to a schedule you need to learn how to develop a schedule by sticking to creating one. 

Every day create a schedule, why? how do I know where I want to go if I currently my mind like a monkey is jumping from place to place with no sense of organization.

First develop a schedule and now the hard part audit that schedule daily.  Yes AUDIT, which means going through the schedule like a homicide detective with trust issues who thinks the world is guilty. Only I will be using the audit process to really determine what is reasonable every day. Instead of some pie in the sky goal, look at my life and say this is realistic and that is OK.

Yes some people can produce 2 or 30 pages per day exercise 45 minutes, clean, answer all emails, pick up the kids, make a 3 course meal have a full time job and meditate. (I applaud all of you super heroes) The joy of being a thousand years old is that you learn to accept yourself. My goals are more modest. Next 30 days develop and audit schedule. If I can make my goal then step 2.

What are your writing goals? What is your daily schedule? How do you stay motivated?

No comments:

Post a Comment