Monday, November 12, 2012

What to do when characters go rogue

My character has gone rogue, the character seemingly polite, dutiful and helpful has gone balls to the wall bat _hit insane. How did this happen? We all knew our parts, the story was moving and then it happened a hostile take over by a minor character who wants their day in the sun. Oh he is shining so bright at the moment that my other poor characters have set up a timer for him to go super nova.

I feel bad for abandoning my story at this moment, I need to get back in there and save my characters. Here is the thing if I put fingers to keyboard it is over, this character has taken a life and force of his own and he will not be denied.

Some writers will plunge ahead giving in to the giddy power of having been swept away by the novel. I on the other hand want my characters to each have their moment in the sun and now is the not time for what I now call my little terrorist.

I know that negotiation is not possible the character is to strong. The fact that the story is growing and learning is an achievement which I do not wish to control but to mold. Time to pull out the writers weapons of choice. An outline.

Some of you look at the outline process as a creativity killer or a necessary before even beginning the story. If there is one thing I have learned is that no one thing works for all writers. 100 writers will swear by the outline and 100 will heap scorn on the outline who is right? I don't know or care.

What I do know is that it is better to have a full tool box than an empty one. I write the right way for me. I take each scene and process it mentally 50-60 times and then I type it up. I re-read previous chunks and go from there will this work for you probably not unless like me you become consumed by your work.

So what do you do when your character goes rogue? Pull out a piece of paper, click on an outlining app, walk over to your white board and start outlining roughly where your story started, where your characters are and what resolution you were hoping to end with. Sound easy? 

Don't feel bad if you find yourself on a 24 hour bender cursing the outline it is working like bad tasting medicine it is doing its job as works through your mental landscape.

And if all else fails and your character is determined to have their way in your story keep typing you may have a surprise hit on your hands.


No comments:

Post a Comment