Wednesday, November 7, 2012

With minutes to spare can you write a paragraph? I did it on the Metro.

I sat in my chair looking out at the skyscraper landscape one shoe dangled off of my toe. I wiggled the shoe so it bounced slowly against my foot, the buildings in front of me receded. Best time to destroy her life is during the holiday, she has everything to lose. I adjusted my position, maintaining good posture was important when you are going to unleash hell on someones life. Destroy a marriage. Check. Lose her children. Check. End her career. Check. Leave her in poverty. Double check. I sighed, smoothing my skirt down, we can put a man on the moon and yet fabric that does not wrinkle is still as elusive as angels and fairy dust. My cellphone rang,  I trace the outline of my victims face on the caller ID. The devil has to much fun I murmured to myself as I let the call go to voicemail. My head dropped back and a smile spread across my face, revenge wasn't sweet it was delicious and I couldn't wait to start eating.


I wrote the above paragraph while sitting on the train using a text editing app, I wrote it in the the time it took the train make 5 stops. I set up the app to automatically sync with Dropbox, and from Dropbox to blogger it was another short hop.

Maybe it is in your hand, pocket, purse, bag, book-bag, table, your cellphone is a powerful tool in capturing those evil twisted scenes, dialogues, plots that stream through your writers brain all day. Don't let a piece of paper, or a word processing system get in the way of capturing all of your great ideas. If you can tap out a few words to trigger sentences that is also OK.

Long gone are the romantic days of the author sitting at his desk and writing.

This is a brave new world, and we write, online while waiting for our coffee, we write while waiting for the prescription to be filled, we will even lock ourselves in the bathroom for a minuets a day to capture some fantastic new idea.

If you have a phone and you are writing it is time to look at that phone a whole different way.

Happy writing.

If you have some recommendations on good apps PLEASE share.

No comments:

Post a Comment