Sunday, September 9, 2012

I am not a snob

I am sitting on the bus, making the weekend run between NYC and DC.

Fun times squeezed into a metal tube with strangers their various food choices, questionable choices for perfumes and colognes. Note to all: Rosewater and Peppermint musk do not mix on public transportation especially when the front of the bus is busting out curried chicken and the back of the bus is wrist deep Chinese take out.

Now dear reader you are probably thinking I am grumpy with all I have just said, in all honesty I cherish the ability to sit on the bus for 4+ uninterrupted hours and just write.

Yup no distractions, I plug in pretend to listen to music and I can write. The 4 hours always seem to go by way to fast and sometimes I wish I could just ride the bus all day long I could probably write about 2 novels per week if I was on public transportation non-stop.

But back to the title of today's post I am not a snob, lately I have noticed a visceral reaction to physical books.   I see a book and the un-wanted  part of my judgemental brain wakes up and screams "tree killers" at everyone reading a physical book.

How did this happen? I walk into any library and I imagine the devout feel the same when they walk into their house of worship.

Books are magical, dangerous, alluring, and to be treated with the utmost respect. Books are not just paper, glue and ink. Book are sacred treasures, they are priceless. Book are wonderous and yet the part of me who has purchased reasoning that I need to diet and I can wait until the next paycheck to buy food now finds myself looking askance at people with books.

I am editing my first novel. Sharing my novel with the world is something that will bring me great pleasure. And yet now, my heart feels differently I want my novels to be read I want my stories to be shared. But the thought of a dog-eared copy of my novel makes me feel sad and nostalgic for an era that has ended and does not know that time has passed it by like an actor who continues to believe they are popular long past when they can no longer get work.

No comments:

Post a Comment