Sunday, September 30, 2012

Why Mr. Anderson Why? Because its two against one

In the last 5 years I have run into childhood schoolmates, acquaintances, frenemies, and friends. And at the type I chuckled at the conversations and patted myself on the back after all we all know ourselves better than everyone else right? Wrong.

5 Years ago I ran into "beloved Luddite" number one, who has no social profile to date on any social network, we attended the same Junior High School. After the initial excitement of "It has been so long" there was an awkward pause I didn't put to much stock in it after it had been years and then "beloved Luddite" "so I know you aren't the type to hype yourself up but can you tell me the names of the book you have written."

I laughed and spent the next 10 minutes assuring my "beloved Luddite" that in fact I was not a published author under an assumed name. The look of disbelief remained even as we parted.

A year later same thing with "frenemy." Who had the grace to add I had "aged well" grrrrrrr

Then there was "We grew up on the same street and they moved when they were teenagers and they were visiting the old neighborhood friend" same conversation.

Then "Facebook Friend who moved half way across the world whom I hadnt seen High School" this conversation was a "chat" but it was the same all of the above.

I remember growing up being a bookish idealistic people loving save the planet type. So how did this happen?

Enter Jack White: Two against one, people could see what I could not. But why, couldn't I see it, what kept me in hiding. Why was it so obvious to others and yet as clear as foggy mountain top to me?

I think that I always knew and in the battle between what is acceptable in society and our passions a clash has to erupt. The battle has to take place for the truth to come out of hiding.

No comments:

Post a Comment