Tuesday, May 21, 2013

I switched seats to sit next to him.

I don't consider myself shallow, I find beauty everywhere. And I have been told I must be blind because I have met very few unattractive people. I look at people and all I see is the beauty and the potential for greater beauty.  Having said that, I am not immune to the charms of a well dressed man. When I was younger I believed that clothes could enhance a persons look. I have learned that it is the person who can take a rag and create a new fashion trend.

One of the things that we women lament about at ad nauseum is that we dress for women and not for men. On my less charitable days, I am inclined to believe that dressing for men is a waste of time. I have lost count of the number of times when in a rush with unbrushed hair, wrinkled mis-matching clothing men have flocked to me like fates in Greek mythology who beckon men to their destruction.

On days when I am presentable I am become invisible, I consider that a good thing 100% of the times to be honest.

So I asked my sisters, if we dress for women, do men dress for women or for men?

Silence   For a good 20 seconds my sisters thought hard. The only consensus we could honestly reach was that 90% of men couldn't dress themselves at high noon with mirrors, visual aids and instructions from a saint.

My sister made a head scratching observation: "was it possible that women dressed for women because men would take social cues from the attention the women would receive?"

My other sister then asked if society had programmed women to "dress" in order to attract a partner.

I would rather sit on a space heater in the summer than admit to a cliche and I wondered if perhaps socio-economic factors actually influence how men attract women through clothing? Could it be possible that men do in fact dress to attract women?  And then I realized that men dress much more subtly to attract a partner. 

I will be the first to admit that when a man regardless of looks is dressed in well fitting clothing I do take a second and third glance. A watch or cuff links ensures that I will take a fourth or fifth glance.  Pants that are properly hemmed with shoes that are polished and ding we have an attractive man (regardless of looks).

I think that men and women have evolved different approaches to capturing a partners eyes. I am guilty of having changed seats on Amtrak this weekend, I was originally sitting with a very cute guy with the typical rumpled t-shirt and jeans and sneakers. When the less attractive Mr. Gingham shirt, wool trousers and loafers asked if I would like the window seat I jumped ship (no pun intended) his confidence and easy manner won me over for an enjoyable train ride full of charming conversation.

If I had to guess I would think that cute guy, knows he is cute and he doesn't have to try as hard. Whereas Mr. Not So Cute has had to develop social skills and learned to enhance his appearance.

So what is the take away? Basically men and women are visual creatures and we like what we like. Or as my naughty mother would say there is no accounting for taste, and in the end all cats are black in the dark.

Suit and Tie

No comments:

Post a Comment