Sunday, May 26, 2013

Love Jones

I watched the movie Love Jones in the theater when it first came out. I will never forget the audiences reaction when Darius (Larenz Tate) recited this poem. I loved poetry before this movie but after I could not read or listen to a poem if it didn't have the power to create such a powerful and visceral reaction. I still remember the end of the scene when Darius walks off stage I can honestly say i felt "spent."










Every so often I will play this poem and I have the same reaction. Good stories, poetry etc stay with you a life time pulling all sorts of emotions. Great stories, poems etc will evolve and change as you mature so as you revisit these old friends you learn that they too have grown.







Love Jones is a very good movie, the characters are complex and they don't offer standard answers to the question of love, monogamy, intimacy etc.



Love Jones also taught me poems are like music they should not be read but heard.

I present to you a "Blues for Nina"

A Blues for Nina


No comments:

Post a Comment