Tuesday, May 14, 2013

The Willy Wonka brain

Pure Imagination

I remember watching the original Willy Wonka and thinking the Chocolate Factory is nice but I can create one better.  And so I built a wondrous enchanted land so magical and colorful that I spent days refining this beautiful place.  I sat down to convey the majesty of endless fields of grass so pure and clean that during each inhale lungs became strengthened and super powers increased. I wanted to some how capture the water so clear that fishing became a spectator sport the goal to identify the beauty of its diversity. If I could paint the canvas would fill an entire city block to capture the beauty of this land.

But my gift is in words, and even on my best of days I fall short of properly capturing and conveying all the intricate nuances that create not prose but a story.

A story starts with pure imagination it gestates not in the womb but in the brain, it is nurtured with love from the soul and inspiration. When the story is created a new life is born.  A good story can not be contained in ink and paper.

A good story sits next to you, and little by little it enters your system, and before you know it you have fallen in love with this story. The characters are real, created and refined by millions of ideas that float like fog on the water.

Which brings me back to Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory pure imagination feels magical, the real magic is in being able to capture all those ideas, thoughts and mental images and turning them into a story.

I enjoy the act of pure imagination, my mind has infinite idea sometimes I have wondered if I could hire myself out to those with writers block.  My biggest challenge is in finding a balance between imagination and creating.  The heady experience of giving my creative side carte blanche is exhilarating but equally fantastic is when my fingers caress the keyboard bringing the creativity to the table in a manner of speaking.

The internal struggle to balance creativity and creation is worthy of self reflection but only if it allows you to achieve your goal. 

No comments:

Post a Comment