Saturday, May 18, 2013

We are nerds we are the hands that turn the wheel

I am a nerd! I would wear a button if they gave them out. I would rock my button with pride. I went to see the Star Trek into Darkness with family and friends. No worries this is a spoiler free zone.

After the movie of course the inevitable Star Trek, Star Wars, Battle Star Galactica, Dr. Who etc. lines were all drawn.

What was at stake? Money? Fame? Power? No. Nerd cred was at stake, we all know that nerd cred super cedes money, fame, power, love etc.

Who would take top honors? I sniffed in polite disdain when someone mentioned the superiority of Star Wars. I bit my tongue Star Wars? People who run around fighting with glow sticks? I don't think so.

The arguments flowed back and forth each person defending their side valiantly.

At some point, I sat back and let the conversation wash over and me and I realized that everyone was passionate each person was pursuing truth.

Every statement made in favor of one series was based on a greater calling. The series represented for each proponent something bigger than the individual it represented how society can best move forward in a more perfected union through hardship, blood sweat and tears.

I continued to listen, I was no longer interested in winning. I realized that we the nerds had won. We who invest our selves in the truth where ever it may lead. We who go in search of adventure, we who look for answers after other have walked away in frustrations.

We are not leaders, soldiers, fighters. We are those who will move humanity forward. We will evolve humans not for selfish desires but because we understand that our brief time on this beautiful little planet is brief but even a small person can leave a mark.

We are nerds.

No comments:

Post a Comment