Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Kool-Aid and Jealousy

I find it troubling that I want to admit this. I find it even more troubling that I feel this way.

As far back as I can remember I have always been jealous of people who can accept anything. The green headed monster fills me with poisonous jealousy when ever I am around people who will believe whatever they are told. Why can't I be like that. Why can't I just suspend the ability to question and live in ignorant bliss. Why can't I just look at reason and logic and discard them like yesterdays newspapers.

Just once I want to swallow the kool-aid, I want to throw rational thought to the wind and pretend wooooohooooo yes this will work no matter how improbable.

Just once I want develop a cult like devotion to some unimportant nonsense. I want to look at opinion polls and say "yes that sounds right" I want to think that popular opinion is right.

I want to feel the comfort of group think and the status quo. I want the feeling of "not my problem". I want to walk by and say: "thank goodness that isn't me." I want the arrogant feeling of moral superiority because I am with the majority.

Yes I am jealous and this is eating at me. I don't want to drink the kool-aid I want to bathe in it. I want it seep into my pores until I am OK with the popular opinion du jour.  Yes I am ashamed.

No comments:

Post a Comment