Monday, October 1, 2012

I don't know how to slow it down

Back when I was to little to understand anything, much like now I watched then President Jimmy Carter address the nation on the hand over of the Panama Canal. All I knew was that OUR President was talking so it had to be important and it was my duty to listen. My mom walked into the living room and figured that I could not reach the dial and changed the channel to Sesame Street. All HELL broke loose.

"How dare you! Our President is speaking about a canal in Panama" I screamed. My mother with her infinite patience turned the channel back. Mom what is a canal, why is the President giving it back? If it is in Panama how can it be ours? What will I look like in 1999? My mom was super patient a saint even we made it through that dinner relatively unscathed by world events.

But the like most children I grew up to my mother's dismay I continued watching the news. Imagine my mothers reaction when at the ripe age of 8 years old at 3:30 am I wake her up to inform her I have solved New York States landfill crisis for the next 30 minutes I described in awful details tiny robots that cant be seen that could eat garbage. My mom sat and listened to me she stroked my hair and she listened fascinated. I remember that she told me that perhaps I should not watch distressing news before bed.

Yup nanotechnology 8 years old, floppy discs and dot matrix was cutting edge....

And yet my mind was always dreaming elsewhere, I would read a story and just as quickly I tore through it I had 100 alternate endings with an infinite number of questions as to why.

I could detail countless more Panama Canal and nanotechnology moments between my mom and I, but the point is simply mom's and dads if you have a spacy dreamy kid who wakes you up at 3:30 am to discuss their cure for ___________

Put a paint brush, pencil, pen, paper, computer, paper etc in their hand because some day they will make magic.


No comments:

Post a Comment