Thursday, October 18, 2012

The Cereal Novel for the serial digial age

Charles Dickens wrote the Pickwick Papers as a serial novel, and in a case of history repeating itself authors are now looking back as they move forward in the digital age.

One of the major advantages of a serial novel is that it gives readers the ability to read "mini-chunks" and become intimate with characters over a stretch of time.

I love ♥ the idea of a serial novel and have been kicking one around in my head. The concept I have in mind would be perfect for a serial novel.

Another attractive feature of composing a serial novel is that it gives the author the ability characters, and plots speak for them-self.


And so I present you with the first of the  "Cereal Morning"

The lights brightened slowly, pulling me of my delta wave stage, my body was pleasantly cool. I felt incredibly refreshed. As was the norm my eyes fluttered opened with half remembered snippets of dreams as ephemeral as clouds. Silence. Wonderful silence engulfed me.

I smelled the coffee brewing, everything was as it should be, I felt content. and at ease. I slipped out of the bedroom and walked into the kitchen. As I walked into the kitchen the coffeemaker started to slowly drip hot coffee into the mug, the screens one by one turned on. News streamed on one screen, emails on another populated the next screen based on importance and urgency.  No email stood out, the news was as always the same disasters, followed by a a new breakthrough on how to fight back against nature and her unwillingness to play.

Tina's mouth opened and closed rapidly she was animated and visibly excited, I frowned, I taped my ear and instantly my hearing senses were turned on.

I frowned, hoping she would pick up and learn from the facial expression but still she spoke. I sighed, teaching them was an endless battle but we had to have mercy and patience.

Tina, I spoke slowly and deliberately, I have not had my coffee or had breakfast yet, your behavior is inappropriate. I tapped my ear again, silence except for the few minutes when the body has to adjust and "listens" to the pounding heart. I sighed when would they advance so that the state of silence I wondered to myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment