Wednesday, October 24, 2012

The right tools to write

Ask three authors what tools, techniques they use to bring out their inner muse and you will get 3 different answers.

I have read multi-page blog posts waxing poetics on: outlines, index cards, cork boards, legal pads, napkins, post it etc.

I purposely did not mention software and hardware, I have heard of an author who wrote his entire book using his cellphone, others will swear by certain software programs i.e. Scrivener, Dragon Dictation,  MS Word etc.

Then hardware, some authors feel more professional sitting at a desktop with an organized desk of notes and research by their side. Some authors swear by a laptop which they carry wherever the wind blows them.

And let us not forget Apps, I would start to mention some but then I would have to write up another blog post on apps.

And the apps do not include all the cloud synching capabilities available today: Dropbox, Box, SugarSync, iCloud, SkyDrive, GDrive etc.

How do I like to write? I prefer my laptop, synced to multiple cloud services (I use all of the above plus some) I need a comfortable chair and at some point I am going to need some coffee.

Two hours of writing and then 45 minutes of re-reading certain sections feels comfortable.  On a good day in two hours I can bang out 10-12 pages, on a not good day 3-5.

So what are the right tools for writing? is it your iPad, a laptop, desktop, smart phone? I am curious to see more reviews for Microsoft's Surface tablet, but until then I will stick with my current routine.

2 comments:

  1. I am a sucker for a fancy new notebook to start my notes.

    It has to be new, never used, preferably with no lines. Moleskins are my favorite. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Leauxra I love Molskins I have a ton of them that I have in safe keeping because I refuse to touch them to "precious" to write. So I always end up with notebooks filled with odds and ends of chapters, story ideas, research etc.

    Thanks for stopping by :)

    ReplyDelete